Reading Buddies is designed to give your child extra reading practice with a caring teen mentor and to make the reading experience fun. Reading Buddies is not a tutoring service for your child. Teen volunteers are not trained or expected to correct learning problems.
Who can participate?
- students in grades K-3 are eligible
- students must be able to attend all of the meetings
- students’ parent or guardian must remain in the library during the meetings
- Little Buddies will be admitted to the program on a first come, first served basis, so apply early
Who are Big Buddies? Students in grades 6-12 can volunteer to be Reading Buddies. Typically, they are teens who love reading, enjoy working with younger children, and want to give back to their community.
What do the Buddies do?
- your child and his/her Buddy will take turns reading aloud
- they talk about their books and may do activities connected to the material
- they might work on reading related homework, such as sight words
- to break up the 60-minute session they may also play games or do some coloring
Currently, Reading Buddies is offered Wednesdays seasonally between the hours of 4:00 & 6:00 p.m. Buddies meet the same time each week that is mutually convenient for a 60-minute session.
The winter session is underway. The next session will be April 8th – May 31st. To apply for participation, click here. Please note, applying does not guarantee participation.
Interested in applying to be a Big Buddy? Click here.