Reading Buddies is designed to give your child extra reading practice with a caring teen mentor and to make the reading experience fun. Reading Buddies is not a tutoring service for your child. Teen volunteers are not trained or expected to correct learning problems.
Who can participate?
- Students in grades K-3 are eligible.
- Students must be able to attend all of the meetings.
- Students’ parent or guardian must remain in the library during the meetings.
- Little Buddies will be admitted to the program on a first come, first served basis, so apply early.
Who are Big Buddies? Students in grades 6-12 can volunteer to be Reading Buddies. Typically, they are teens who love reading, enjoy working with younger children, and want to give back to their community.
What do the Buddies do?
- Your child and his/her Buddy will take turns reading aloud.
- They talk about their books and may do activities connected to the material.
- They might work on reading-related homework, such as sight words.
- To break up the 60-minute session, they may also play games or do some coloring.
Currently, Reading Buddies is offered Wednesdays seasonally between the hours of 4:00 & 6:00 p.m. Buddies meet each week at a regular time that is mutually convenient for a 60-minute session.
The winter 2020 session will begin on Monday, January 27th. Orientation for big buddies will be held at the library on Wednesday, January 22nd at 4 p.m. To apply for participation, click here. Please note: applying does not guarantee participation.
Interested in applying to be a Big Buddy? Click here.