Scranton Memorial Library has partnered with the Astronomical Society of New Haven to provide an Orion StarBlast 4.5″ Astro Reflector Telescope for patrons to borrow from the library.
You will receive a brief orientation to the telescope at checkout.
To place a hold: click here.
Loan Period, Fines and Fees
- The telescope must be picked up from and returned to E.C. Scranton Memorial Library
- The telescope may be borrowed for one week.
- The telescope may be renewed an additional week, if no one else has placed a hold on it
- A fee of $2 per day will be charged for each day the telescope is overdue
- Fees will be assessed in the case of loss, damage or theft (up to $220)
- Patrons must have a Connecticut library card with their account in good standing
- Patron accepts full financial liability for the telescope and agrees to pay all costs associated with the damage to, loss of, or theft of the telescope
- Patron agrees to inform library staff regarding any issues with items (broken pieces, dead batteries, cosmetic damage, lost items, etc)
- Patron will not attempt to alter the structure or any of the equipment of the telescope or any of the contents within the container
- Patron will not attempt to clean any part of the telescope. If any part seems dusty or dirty, please return the telescope to the library and we will handle cleaning
- Patron will take responsibility for reading instruction manual and guide for how to properly use telescope
- Patron will be sure to power down any battery power source prior to returning the telescope
To get started with viewing the night sky, you can access Monthly Star Charts by clicking here.
Astronomical Society of New Haven observing sessions are on a Saturday night each month during the Spring and Fall. Anyone is welcome to attend, no telescope needed. The Society’s general meetings are on the last Tuesday of the month from October through May at the Yale Leitner Family Observatory, New Haven. All interested in learning more about astronomy are welcome. For more information and a schedule of club events, visit the Society’s Website at www.asnh.org