The Library has so much more than books! There are magazines and newspapers, audiobooks, videos, music CDs, museum passes, online databases, Internet computers, Wi-Fi access, e-book readers and more. And a friendly staff to help you.
You can use the library 24/7 from home to:
- Search the Catalog
- Check My Account to find out when books are due
- Renew items
- Place a hold on books
- Reserve Museum Passes
- Sign up for Events & Activities
- Borrow an e-reader or tablet (iPad, iPad Mini, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Nook Color, or Chromebook)
- Find newspaper and magazine articles
- Research topics in our Databases (Consumer Reports, Jobs, Business, Legal forms)
- Information and practice tests for the SAT, ACT, AP Subject Tests and more!
- Download books, movies and more from our digital library
- Learn a foreign language using Mango Languages
- Take an online class with Universal Class
- Explore what to read next in Novelist
Come to the Library with proof of your Madison Residency, fill out a form with your name, address, phone number and email address – used only to remind you your materials are due shortly. You will be notified that requested books are ready and, if you wish, updates on coming library events. Once you have your hometown card you may also use it in other Connecticut libraries. And you can use your card to access the online databases, too.
Can’t find what you’re looking for in our LION catalog? We offer interlibrary loan services for borrowing books from throughout the state and even across the country! However, we are not able to borrow DVDs or music CDs from out of state libraries. Many libraries, even from within Connecticut, will not send their DVDs or music CDs, but we will try to get it from other libraries in the state. For more information, please call the library at (203) 245-7365 and ask to speak to our Interlibrary Loan Department or send an email to scrantonILL@scrantonlibrary.org
We also provide books for dozens of book groups in town. If you would like us to work with you to get books free of charge for your book group, please contact the Interlibrary Loan Department for more information.